Inspiring Military Stories, Fiction, Poetry, and Acts of Heroism
Proud to Be: Writing by American Warriors is an anthology of military stories, fiction, poetry, and other writings from veterans and their families from across the nation. This collection covers writers and writings from World War II, Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
Dan Bradford’s short story “Moment Two” was one of his first military stories in print. It is the gripping story of how one moment came to define an entire war for one young man.
Live a Piece of Their Lives Through These Military Stories
This volume of military stories, poetry, and fiction is a collection of the winning submissions from a veterans’ writing competition. It was judged by writers Mark Bowden (Black Hawk Down), William Trent Pancoast (WILDCAT), and soldier-poet Brian Turner (Here, Bullet and Phantom Noise). The anthology is the first in an annual series published by Southeast Missouri State University Press in Cooperation with the Missouri Humanities Council’s Veterans Projects and the Warriors Arts Alliance.
“It is essential for the good of our society and our nation that the rest of us listen to what these men and women have to say.” –Columbia Daily Tribune
“Reactions to the book from a contributing veteran: I am so glad you are doing the work you do. Thank you. Too few people appreciate the value and necessity of expressing these highly charged emotional experiences.” –SE Missouri State University Press
“This is the type of book that more of us should read so that we understand what soldiers go through.” – E. Hayden
“For me, Proud to Be: Writing by American Warriors is required reading and worthy of a thousand tears.” – Monty Joynes
“This is a fabulous read for students, teachers, anyone who appreciates true-life war stories…and stories of passion, obstacles, and pain. Good, good writing.” – C. Hope Clark
Other Titles Available from Dan Bradford
- Bo Henry at Three Forks – This is the first of Dan Bradford’s western books. He enjoys being one of the new western novel authors. Join Bo Henry as he sets off west to save his partner’s wife in this amazing historical fiction.
- Akabish’s First Christmas – Akabish was there to bear witness to the first Christmas. She is awestruck and inspired as she tells her tale in this children’s book.
- Akabish’s Long Journey – Follow along in one of Dan’s most interesting books for children. This beautiful tale of warmth of the continued adventures of Akabish will inspire children of all ages.
- Proud to Be Vol. 2 &3 – These compelling anthologies featuring Dan’s stories are full of other veterans’ stories, fiction, poetry, and Vietnam stories.
- Wewes, The Pilgrims, and the First Thanksgiving – John Billington is on the adventure of a lifetime in this young adult historical fiction. Follow along as he brings together the people of the first Thanksgiving in one of Dan’s most intriguing young adult novels.